How your dermatologists in Anderson, SC, can help treat your skin cancer
There are many types of skin cancer, each with a different level of seriousness. While melanoma is one of the more serious types of skin cancer, it is indeed treatable if it is coupled with early detection and early treatment.
With several convenient office locations in Anderson, Seneca, and Abbeville, SC, the dermatologists here at Anderson Skin & Cancer Clinic offer a full range of cosmetic and medical dermatology treatments including melanoma treatment. Read on to learn more about their life-saving treatments!
More about melanoma treatments
The first step in dealing with skin cancer is prevention. Always put on a sunscreen of at least SPF 15, and SPF 30 or higher if you spend a lot of time outside. In addition to sunscreen, you should do a self-check of your skin regularly and look for moles or discolorations that have:
- A change in color
- A change in size or height
- An irregular, asymmetrical shape
- Irregular, poorly-defined borders
- A diameter larger than 6 millimeters
You should also pay attention to any moles, discolorations, or abnormalities that are painful, itchy, or bleeding. If you notice any of these signs or symptoms, seek out the services of your dermatologist for a comprehensive skin examination, and skin biopsy (a type of screening that determines which kind of skin cancer you have). If you are diagnosed with melanoma, it’s vital that you begin treatment immediately.
Some of the most common treatments for melanoma and other skin cancers include:
- Surgical excision to remove the cancerous tissue
- Radiation therapy to kill cancerous cells
- Chemotherapy used in combination with surgery and radiation to eliminate cancerous tissue
- Mohs micrographic surgery to remove skin cancer layer-by-layer
- Medicated creams to boost your body’s ability to fight skin cancer
Give us a call!
To find out more about treatment for melanoma and other skin cancers, call the dermatologists at Anderson Skin & Cancer Clinic, with offices in Anderson, Seneca, and Abbeville, South Carolina. Call today!